Stir fry is a popular food that usually involves meat and vegetables fried in a small amount of hot oil rapidly over high heat. If you’ve made your own stir fry at home, you may end up with some leftovers. Would it be possible to store stir fry in the freezer?
So, can you freeze stir fry? Yes, you can freezer stir fry. This is the recommended storage for stir fry that’s going to be kept for longer than a couple of days. To keep them fresh, you need to either store them in an airtight container or freezer bag. Properly stored, stir fry will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Does Stir Fry Freeze Well?
Yes, stir fry does freeze well. Due to the ingredients being mixed with liquid, stir fry freezes very well.
Stir fry will last for up to 1 month in the freezer. To keep them fresh, it should be stored in an airtight container or freezer bag.
Make sure to not leave the stir fry for too long as it will start to lose its taste, texture, and some essential nutrients.
OUR LATEST VIDEOS
How to Freeze Stir Fry
OUR LATEST VIDEOS
When it comes to freezing stir, you can freeze stir fry that’s cooked, just the vegetables, or the sauce. Whichever you want to freeze, make sure to it’s prepared correctly first before freezing it. Otherwise, it will probably go bad before it supposes to.
Below are the methods for freezing stir fry:
Freezing Cooked Stir Fry
- Let the stir fry cool down to room temperature first.
- Once it’s cooled, place them into an airtight container.
- Leave about half an inch of space at the top. This will allow the stir fry to expand during freezing.
- Seal the lid on the container tight and make sure there are no leaks.
- Label the container with the freezing date and place it into the freezer.
Freezing Stir Fry Vegetables
If you’re planning to freeze stir fry vegetables, you’ll need to prep them first. This is done by blanching the vegetables. Blanching will help lock in the texture, taste, and nutrition of the veggies while it’s frozen. Also, blanching will extend the shelf life of the veggies in the freezer longer.
Below are the steps to freeze stir fry vegetables:
- Cut the veggies into small pieces of your preferred size.
- In a pot, heat the water until it begins to boil.
- Drop the veggies into the pot and blanch it for 3 minutes.
- While the veggies are in the pot, prepare an ice bath. In a large bowl or container, fill fresh water half full and add ice to it.
- Using a colander, scoop the veggies from the boiling water and transfer them immediately to the ice bath.
- Leave it in the cold water for about 5-10 minutes. This step is necessary to stop the cooking process.
- Once it’s cooled down, place the veggies into a colander and let it drip dry for about 5 minutes.
- Using a clean paper towel or napkin, gently press on the veggies to remove any excess moisture from them.
- On a tray, lay a sheet of baking or wax paper on it.
- Spread the vegetables onto the sheet spacing them out evenly so that they don’t touch each other.
- Place the tray of vegetables into the freezer.
- Flash freeze them for about 2-3 hours.
- Once it’s completely frozen, remove them from the freezer and immediately transfer the veggies into a freezer bag or an airtight container.
- If using a freezer bag, press on it to remove any excess air before sealing it.
- Seal the bag or container tight to prevent air from leaking into it.
- Label the container with the freezing date and place them into the freezer.
How Long Can You Freeze Stir Fry?
Stir fry will stay fresh for about a month in the freezer. For the best quality, they should be consumed within 2 weeks.
Always place them in an airtight container or freezer bag. These storage containers have been designed to withstand extremely cold temperatures.
Whenever possible, avoid storing stir fry in the fridge if you’re planning to freeze them.
Most cooked foods, especially stir fry will not last long in the fridge. Within a couple of days, bacteria will start to grow on them.
How Do You Defrost Stir Fry?
To defrost sit fry, there are a couple of methods of doing so. Below are the methods in which you can defrost stir fry:
Defrosting Stir Fry On the Stovetop
This is the quickest way to thaw stir fry. Start by heating the pan at medium heat. Then remove the stir fry from the freezer and place them in the pan. Use a spatula and gently press on the stir fry to break them up. Keep stirring them until it’s completely thawed.
If the stir fry gets a little dry, simply add some water and keep stirring it for another minute or so. Once it’s heated, you can eat it.
Defrosting Stir Fry In the Microwave
This is another method to thaw frozen stir fry. If you use an airtight container to store the stir fry, you can simply take it out from the freezer and place it into the microwave. Most of the airtight container that is designed for freezer usage is also safe for microwave usage.
If you are using a freezer bag, you can place the frozen stir fry onto a plate or bowl. Make sure the plate or bowl is suitable for microwave use.
After placing the stir fry into the microwave, use the “defrost” setting or microwave it at low heat for about 5-7 minutes. Once it’s thawed, check to see if it’s dry. If so, add some water to the stir fry and heat it again for another 2-3 minutes.
Defrosting Stir Fry In the Fridge
If you don’t need the stir fry right away, the best method is to place it in the refrigerator. Remove it from the freezer and place it into a bowl and into the fridge. Leave it overnight to thaw or for at least 4-5 hours. Once thawed, you can keep it in the fridge for a day before it starts to go bad.
It’s important to never let it defrost at room temperature. By doing so, the stir fry will thaw unevenly. The outside will thaw while the inside is still frozen. This uneven thawing will cause harmful bacteria to contaminate the stir fry. Not only will it go bad, but the bacteria could also cause food poisoning.
Can Stir Fry Go Bad In The Freezer?
Yes, stir fry can go bad if it’s either left in the freezer for a prolonged period of time or it’s not stored properly.
Stir fry will usually last for up to a month in the freezer. After that, the stir fry can still be eaten, but the quality will greatly diminish. For the best taste, frozen stir fry should be consumed within 2-3 weeks.
Another way stir fry can go bad is if it’s not properly stored. The correct type of container to use is an airtight container that’s made for freezer usage. These containers are made with materials that are able to withstand the cold temperature of the freezer. Using a regular plastic container will cause it to break when it’s freezing.
Also, check the lid for leaks. This is especially true for airtight containers that have been used many times. Over time, the seal could slowly begin to leak. As it freezes, the air will leak into the container and damage the stir fry.
Can you stir fry sauce?
Yes, you can freeze stir fry sauce. This is actually a good way to save time making your own sauce. When freezing the sauce, it’s a good idea to freeze them in portions. That way, you can take the right amount of sauce without having to thaw the entire container of it.
Place the stir fry sauce into an airtight container. Leave about half an inch of space at the top. As the sauce begins to freeze, it will expand a bit. Seal the container with the lid tight and place it into the freezer.
Make sure to use the stir fry sauce within 3 months for the best result.
Can you freeze leftover stir fry?
Yes, you can freeze leftover stir fry. Any leftovers that you have should be stored in the freezer as soon as possible. Leaving them at room temperature too long could potentially cause harmful bacteria to contaminant them.
Place any leftover stir fry into an airtight container and make sure the lid is sealed tight without any leaks. Just a small leak in the container could shorten their freezer shelf life.