Orange is a citrus fruit that’s packed with nutrition and has a sweet tangy taste. Some people don’t like eating the whole fruit, but rather just the juice. If you have freshly squeezed juice or bought them from the grocery store, you’ll need to store them. Orange juice tends to not last very long at room temperature. Would freezing orange juice be an option?
Can you freeze orange juice? Yes, you can freeze orange juice. You can freeze them freshly squeeze or from a carton. Orange juice is best when stored without the pulp. Properly stored, orange juice can stay fresh for up to 1 year.
Does Orange Juice Freeze Well?
Depending on the type of orange juice, it will dictate how well they freeze. Pulp juice tends to not freeze very well. This is due to the crystals forming when it’s frozen. When it thaws, the juice will be grainy and the ingredients will separate.
For orange juice in pure liquid form, it will freeze well. You can freeze them in the freezer without any issues. Properly stored, when the orange juice thaws, you won’t be able to tell the difference between fresh and frozen juice.
OUR LATEST VIDEOS
How To Freeze Orange Juice
OUR LATEST VIDEOS
When it comes to freezing orange juice, you have several options. You can either freeze them in a container or in an ice cube tray. The method you use will depend on what you’ll be using them for.
Remember, orange juice with pulp tends to not freeze well. If you do, when it thaws, it will become grainy in texture.
Freezing Leftover Orange Juice
If you’ve some leftovers and want to freeze the orange juice, you can do so. It’s simple and quick.
- Get out an airtight container. It can be glass or plastic, but make sure it’s freezer-safe.
- Pour the orange juice into the container.
- Leave about an inch of space at the top of the container. This will allow the juice to expand during freezing.
- Check the seal on the lid to make sure there are no damages. If there are none, secure them in the container tightly.
- Label the date of freezing on the container.
- Place it into the freezer and make sure it’s upright and flat while it freezes.
Freezing Orange Juice Ice Cubes
Freezing orange juice in ice cubes is a great way to store them for later. It’s great for making smoothies and other drinks that require just a small amount of orange juice.
- Grab an ice cube tray and make sure it’s clean.
- Pour the orange juice into the slot of the tray.
- Fill the juice halfway in each slot. This will avoid the liquid from overflowing when it expands during freezing.
- Place the tray of juice into the freezer.
- Let it sit in the freezer for about 2-3 hours.
- Once it’s completely frozen, take them out of the freezer.
- Immediately transfer the ice cubes to a freezer bag or an airtight container.
- If you’re using a freezer bag, squeeze out the air and seal it tightly. If you’re using an airtight container, secure the lid to the container tightly.
- Label the bag or container with the date of freezing and place them into the freezer.
Can You Freeze Unopened Orange Juice?
If you bought a carton of orange juice that was on sale, but won’t be able to use it by the expiry date, you can freeze it.
Unopened orange juice in a carton can be frozen, but you need to be careful with it. Some manufacturers will leave a small gap at the top of the carton, while others may fill the juice to the brink.
Once you place the unopened carton of orange juice into the freezer, check on them after an hour. If it’s frozen and there’s no bulge, you can freeze it.
On the other hand, if the carton has a bulge, or it’s starting to crack, remove it from the freezer. You’ll need to transfer the orange juice from the cartoon to an airtight container.
How Long Can You Freeze Orange Juice?
Orange juice that’s properly stored can last for between 8 and 12 months in the freezer. After that time, the juice will still be safe to consume, but the quality will start to deteriorate.
It’s best to store them in an airtight container that’s made of glass or plastic. Avoid the freezer bag if you can. Over time, it may crack due to the freezing temperature.
How Do You Defrost Orange Juice?
The best way to thaw orange juice is in the fridge. This will ensure the juice will retain its flavor and texture. Leave the frozen juice in a bowl to collect melted water overnight. Once it’s completely thawed in the morning, you can use them in your cooking.
If you’re planning to use them to make smoothies or any other drinks, you won’t need to defrost orange juice at all. Simply remove them from the freezer and place them directly in the blender with other ingredients.
Also, if you’re planning to make orange-flavored water, you won’t’ need to defrost the juice either. Remove a couple of orange juice ice cubes from the freezer and drop them into a glass of water. This will give you ice water with a refreshing orange flavor.
Can You Refreeze Orange Juice?
Orange juice is one of those drinks that spoil rather quickly. This means if you refreeze the juice, it raises the chance of them going bad. You’ll end up with an orange juice that’s not only bad tasting but could get you sick as well.
To prevent having to refreeze orange juice, you should freeze them in portions. This way, you will need to take the amount of juice you need without having to worry about refreezing any leftovers.
Other Questions about Orange Juice
Can you freeze Tropicana orange juice?
If you bought Tropicana orange juice, you can definitely freeze them. They usually come with pulp and no pulp. Both types can be frozen, but the orange juice with pulp will become grainy when it thaws. Be sure to transfer them to an airtight container before you place them into the freezer.